Condolences continue pouring in following the sad news of the passing of Mthandeni Dlamuka, a cast member and reverend on the reality TV show Isencane Lengane. Bab’ Dlamuka, as he was affectionately known, had been part of the show since its first season in 2019.
He was the father of Siyacela Dlamuka, one of the teen husbands married to Thando Msomi. Siyacela shared the news of his father’s passing on Facebook, expressing his heartache and bidding farewell.
Bab’ Dlamuka had been battling a long illness, and during the show’s second season, he revealed that he had diabetes and was wheelchair-bound. Despite having a love-hate relationship with viewers, who felt he spoiled Siyacela at times, many acknowledged that he also disciplined him when necessary. He will be remembered for popularizing the term “sthuphethu” (stupid) with his unique pronunciation.
Tributes and messages of condolences continue pouring in from fans of Isencane Lengane on social media. Some recognized Bab’ Dlamuka’s intentions of finding Siyacela a wife early on, so he would have a close companion when he passed away. They praised him for leaving Siyacela with a loyal wife.
University of Cape Town (UCT) and Mastercard Foundation Scholars’ Program: Providing Access to Quality Education
The University of Cape Town (UCT) has joined forces with the Mastercard Foundation to establish the Mastercard Foundation Scholars’ Program, an educational initiative aimed at granting academically talented young individuals from economically disadvantaged communities in Africa the opportunity to pursue a high-quality university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT offers full-cost scholarships to first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants from Africa. These scholarships provide comprehensive financial support and ensure an exceptional educational experience that produces graduates with internationally recognized qualifications, locally applicable skills, and a commitment to engaged citizenship and social justice.
Scholarship recipients receive coverage for the entire duration of their studies, with the opportunity for renewal on an annual basis, contingent upon satisfactory performance and active engagement in the program’s activities and opportunities. Successful candidates are expected to pledge their commitment to returning to their home countries and utilizing their acquired skills and education to contribute to their country’s social and economic development.
Selection Criteria for Scholarships:
- Academically talented: Candidates who value learning and demonstrate a strong drive to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged: Individuals facing significant financial barriers that hinder their ability to pursue higher education.
- Committed to giving back: Applicants who are dedicated to investing in their communities and utilizing their acquired skills and knowledge to make a positive impact.
- Future leaders: Individuals committed to embracing ethical leadership and driving positive change in their home communities.
Key Benefits of the Scholarship:
- Comprehensive financial assistance: Coverage for visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, and accommodation.
- Relevant and recognized education: Academic curricula designed to produce graduates with internationally recognized qualifications that are locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support: Guidance and support to ensure the academic success of each Scholar.
- Cultural and transition support: Training and assistance to navigate the challenges faced by university students, promoting academic and professional enrichment.
- Career and internship opportunities: Access to career guidance, service learning, experiential learning, and support for transitioning to further study or the workforce in Africa.
- Leadership development and training: Opportunities for leadership development to foster ethical leadership skills.
- Alumni networks: Access to networks and support from fellow Scholars even after completing the program.
To learn more about the application process and requirements, please visit the program’s website to explore this life-changing opportunity.