Job Opportunity: Graphic Designer at SABC Corporate Affairs and Marketing Division
Help Shape the SABC Sport Story with Your Graphic Design Skills
The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is seeking a talented Graphic Designer to join the Corporate Affairs and Marketing division. As a Graphic Designer, you will play a crucial role in illustrating and enhancing the SABC Sport story through visually appealing graphics. This is a one-year contract position with the possibility of extension.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Operational Plan In this role, you will be responsible for various operational tasks related to graphic design. Your duties will include:
- Conducting research in the graphics database and on the internet to find suitable references while adhering to copyright restrictions.
- Ensuring each completed graphic is correctly titled according to the program title and date.
- Transferring graphics to the server in the appropriate folder for seamless integration into the studio’s play-out system.
- Recording graphics onto tape for video editing purposes.
- Paying close attention to detail and maintaining a high level of accuracy, especially when it comes to spelling and numbers on templates.
- Providing feedback and handing over unfinished tasks to colleagues on the next shift.
- Prioritizing and processing requests based on deadlines and broadcasting schedules.
- Designing graphics within the limitations of television format and adhering to house style rules.
- Creating high-quality graphics and layouts to enhance news bulletins, current affairs programs, and online news.
- Seeking informal on-the-job training opportunities to improve your skills with other graphic equipment.
- Reporting any faulty graphics equipment, printers, or computer equipment to the appropriate technicians.
- Embracing the implementation of new technology and staying updated on changes that may impact graphic workflows.
- Maintaining the graphics database by removing duplications for easy reference.
- Stakeholder Management Effective communication and collaboration with various stakeholders will be a key aspect of this role. You will:
- Collaborate with Program Producers, Journalists, and Technical Directors to suggest creative ideas for illustrating stories using graphics such as maps, graphs, or full-screen displays.
- Communicate with clients and provide alternative graphic suggestions if no suitable reference is available.
- Engage with clients to understand their requirements effectively.
- Alert clients about copyright restrictions when using references retrieved from the internet.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance To ensure smooth operations and compliance with SABC policies and regulations, you will:
- Follow all SABC policies and procedures.
- Adhere to broadcasting regulatory and policy provisions, including creativity requirements.
- Comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and monitor their implementation.
Qualifications and Experience
To be considered for this position, the following qualifications and experience are required:
- National Diploma in Graphic Design, multimedia, or equivalent qualification (NQF6/7).
- A degree in Graphic Design, multimedia, or equivalent qualification is an added advantage.
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design, preferably in television broadcasting.
Required Knowledge and Skills
In addition to qualifications and experience, the successful candidate should possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Proficiency in Adobe products and the ability to design using multiple Adobe applications.
- Familiarity with South Africa’s Constitution, broadcasting and other relevant legislation, Icasa license conditions and regulations, the BCCSA Code of Conduct and decisions, SABC Editorial Policies, and SABC Radio News Style-guide.
- Understanding of sports and current developments, as well as trends in social, economic, political, media, and television broadcast environments.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft applications, ENPS, Adobe software, and the Internet.
- Familiarity with News Graphics SOPs and standards, SABC rules and regulations, and the Copyright Act.
- Technical and digital recording, video editing, mixing, and packaging skills.
- Strong planning and organizational abilities.
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about graphic design and want to contribute to the SABC Sport story, please send your application to email@example.com. Include your resume, cover letter, and any relevant portfolio samples that showcase your skills and experience.