SA Tv Soapies

Muvhango coming to an end

After allegedly not being paid their salary for the month of October, the actors on the popular South African Broadcasting Corporation 2 (SABC2) soap opera Muvhango have thrown down their scripts.

It has been brought to the attention of City Press that members of the cast and crew went on strike on Monday and Tuesday after they were not paid their salaries on Monday.

It is believed that the cast members who won awards have been instructed to put their debit order payments on hold because the production would not be able to make the payments until later in the week.

Ad Promotion!
Ad Promotion!

An actor who spoke with City Press this week on the condition of anonymity stated that they had not been paid for their work and that they had made the decision to take a break until their salary had been paid in full.

The actor remarked that:

We were supposed to start filming the new season on Monday, but our salaries have not been paid as they were supposed to be on the last day of the month. As a result, we will not be able to start filming until Tuesday. As a result, we have reached the conclusion that we should refrain from filming until we are compensated.

Another actor stated that it was not made clear when they will be paid and she was concerned about this.

“There is nothing novel about it. It is almost as though they are not concerned about the bills that we have. There are many different kinds of expenses that need to be paid, including those for our homes, cars, and children’s education. “Nothing has been said to suggest when our salary will be paid into our accounts,” the actress continued to say after the last statement.

Mmoni Seapolelo, a spokesperson for the SABC, did not respond to an inquiry that was submitted to her by the time this article was published.

The staff of the production business Word of Mouth were informed via an internal staff communication message that was geared to producers and which was seen by City Press that payments will be made on November 4.

“The purpose of this memo is to inform you, the producer, that the payments due at the end of October will be delayed. It is important that you are aware that payments will be processed on Friday, November 4, 2022.

It said in the letter:

Please do not hesitate to accept our deepest apologies. We are sorry for any difficulty that this may have caused, and we are also aware of the amount of stress that the late communication may have created.

Pumla Hopa, who is the producer of the Muvhango series, has declined to comment on the situation.

“I have no comments to make on that matter. “I would ask that you get in touch with the show’s executive producer,” she replied.

Yeshica Naidoo, who is in charge of the show’s line production, was unavailable for comment.

This is not the first time that rumors have circulated that the popular show has been accused of not paying its actors on schedule.

The cast and crew of the Duma Ndlovu show in 2019 did not get paid for their work in the months of October and November due to the fact that the SABC “did not have money to compensate them.”

NOT LONG AGO NEWS FLOODED SOCIAL MEDIA ABOUT THE SOAPIE’s CONTRACT BEING OVERDUE. The few months ago article reads as follows:


After stopping production on the Muvhango show in October 22 due to an expired contract, the actors and the rest of the production team are currently in a state of limbo and have not been paid.

The well-liked programme, seen on SABC2 every weekday evening at 9 o’clock, has been hanging around in the hopes that the SABC will renew its contract with it.

Muvhango coming to an end

Since the contract with the public broadcaster came to an end at the end of last month, the cast and crew of the Word of Mouth Production have been on hiatus from their work on the show.

At least four separate sources within the SABC have stated that Muvhango has provided the broadcaster with all of the requisite documentation for the renewal of their contract in the month of October.

This was not a nice circumstance, which had left them puzzled, according to one actor who spoke on the condition of anonymity since they are not authorised to speak to the media. This actor made their statement under the condition that they would not be identified.

“People are already overwhelmed because we have been at home for a long time and the contract is not coming forth,” the speaker said. Bonds and insurance premiums are due at the end of the month, and as a result, we are in a difficult financial situation. It is a difficult circumstance. When the show has been performing well, you begin to wonder whether the fault is with the production house or whether the broadcaster is simply being punishing, but for what?

The fact that the actors and the rest of the crew will still be required to wait for the production house to decide whether or not they will be offered a contract is the most significant challenge. My concern is directed toward the members of the production team, who are traditionally positioned last. I mean, they are the ones that bring in the money, and they are new performers who live from paycheck to paycheck; how are they going to make it?

Another actor commented that the wait was quite difficult.

“We have been lounging about the house for the past two months, and we are exhausted from it. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the procedure will go smoothly and quickly. My worry is that the circumstance will get more difficult to deal with the longer I remain sedentary and do not put in any effort.

Gugu Ntuli, a spokesperson for the SABC, was asked for comment, but all she had to say was that “the SABC is finishing discussions with Word of Mouth Production on another season of Muvhango.” The South African Broadcasting Corporation is pleased to report that Muvhango will continue to air on SABC2 from Monday to Friday at 9 o’clock in the evening.

Thanduxolo Jindela, a representative for Word of Mouth Production, was only able to tell that they were waiting for the SABC to complete the process. He forwarded any additional inquiries to the broadcaster.

THE SABC PUTS THE BRAKES ON MUVHANGO

After stopping production on the Muvhango show in November due to an expired contract, the actors and the rest of the production team are currently in a state of limbo and have not been paid.

The well-liked programme, which can be seen on SABC2 every weekday evening at 9 o’clock, has been hanging around in the hopes that the SABC will renew its contract with it.

Since the contract with the public broadcaster came to an end in the middle of November, the cast and crew of the Word of Mouth Production have been on hiatus from their work on the show.

At least four separate sources within the SABC have stated that Muvhango has provided the broadcaster with all of the requisite documentation for the renewal of their contract in the month of November.

This was not a nice circumstance, which had left them puzzled, according to one actor who spoke on the condition of anonymity since they are not authorised to speak to the media. This actor made their statement under the condition that they would not be identified.

“People are already overwhelmed because we have been at home for a long time and the contract is not coming forth,” the speaker said. Bonds and insurance premiums are due at the end of the month, and as a result, we are in a difficult financial situation. It is a difficult circumstance. When the show has been performing well, you begin to wonder whether the fault is with the production house or whether the broadcaster is simply being punishing, but for what?

The fact that the actors and the rest of the crew will still be required to wait for the production house to decide whether or not they will be offered a contract is the most significant challenge. My concern is directed toward the members of the production team, who are traditionally positioned last. I mean, they are the ones that bring in the money, and they are new performers who live from paycheck to paycheck; how are they going to make it?

Another actor commented that the wait was quite difficult.

“We have been lounging about the house for the past two months, and we are exhausted from it. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the procedure will go smoothly and quickly. My worry is that the circumstance will get more difficult to deal with the longer I remain sedentary and do not put in any effort.

Gugu Ntuli, a spokesperson for the SABC, was asked for comment, but all she had to say was that “the SABC is finishing discussions with Word of Mouth Production on another season of Muvhango.” The South African Broadcasting Corporation is pleased to report that Muvhango will continue to air on SABC2 from Monday to Friday at 9 o’clock in the evening.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker