Gauteng College of Nursing: Application for Diploma in Nursing 2024
The Gauteng College of Nursing is calling for applications from qualified candidates who wish to pursue a Diploma in Nursing in 2024. The College offers this program at various campuses, namely the Ann Latsky Campus, Chris Hani Baragwanath Campus, SG Lourens Campus, and Bonalesedi Campus. In this article, we will provide detailed information about the application process, requirements, and important considerations for prospective applicants.
- Important Dates: 1.1 Closing Date for Applications: The deadline for submitting applications is the 30th of June 2023. It is crucial to ensure that all applications are submitted on or before this date as no late applications will be accepted.
- Application Process: 2.1 Registration of Profile: Before applying, all applicants are required to register a profile on the system. This step is essential to create an account and initiate the application process.
2.2 Citizenship and Residence: Applicants must be South African citizens residing in the Gauteng Province. This requirement is necessary to ensure that candidates meet the specific regional criteria for admission.
2.3 School Leaving Certificates: To be considered for admission, applicants must possess one of the following school leaving certificates:
- Senior Certificate
- National Senior Certificate
- Currently in Grade 12
- National Vocational Certificate Primary Health
2.4 Application Method: All applications must be completed on the GPG Professional Job Centre system. Hand-delivered or emailed applications will not be accepted. The online application process streamlines the procedure and ensures efficient handling of the applications.
2.5 Certified Documents: While certified documents are to be uploaded on the system during the application process, shortlisted candidates will be required to present their supporting documents at the selection center. This verification step is essential for confirming the accuracy and authenticity of the provided information.
- Subject Criteria: 3.1 Senior Certificate: Applicants with a Senior Certificate must have obtained the following grades:
- English: HG D or SG C
- Biology: HG D or SG C
- Mathematics: HG D or SG C
- M score: 17
3.2 National Senior Certificate: For applicants with a National Senior Certificate, the following subject requirements apply:
- English: Level 4
- Life Sciences: Level 4
- Mathematics: Level 4 or Maths Literacy: Level 5
- APS: 27 or more (Note: Life Orientation counts as half the score)
3.3 National Vocational Certificate: Candidates with a National Vocational Certificate must meet the following criteria:
- 50% in Fundamental Subjects: English First Additional Language, Maths/Maths Literacy, Life Orientation
- 60% in Vocational Subjects: SA Health Care System, Public Health, The Human Body and Mind, and Community-Oriented Primary Care
3.4 Grade 12 Learners: Current Grade 12 learners must meet the National Senior Certificate requirements based on their Grade 11 final results.
- Competencies and Attributes: In addition to the academic requirements, the Gauteng College of Nursing seeks candidates who possess specific competencies and attributes necessary for a successful nursing career. These include:
- Problem-solving ability
- Ability to relate to people
- Organizational ability
- Leadership ability
- Obligations for Successful Applicants: 5.1 Agreement with the Department of Health: Upon acceptance into the program, successful applicants will be required to sign an agreement with the Department of Health. This agreement outlines the terms and conditions of the training and the obligations of the students.
5.2 Attendance of Lectures: Applicants must commit to attending all lectures as part of their training program. Regular attendance is crucial for acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills in nursing.
5.3 Work Integrated Learning (WIL): To fulfill the program requirements, students will participate in Work Integrated Learning (WIL), which involves shifts and working in Gauteng Department of Health hospitals and clinics. This practical experience provides valuable exposure to real-world healthcare settings.
5.4 Schedule Considerations: Successful applicants should be prepared to work on public holidays, weekends, and nights as part of their training. This aspect of the program ensures that students gain comprehensive experience in various healthcare scenarios.
- Important Considerations: 6.1 Minimum Requirements: Before submitting an application, it is imperative to ensure that you meet all the minimum requirements specified by the Gauteng College of Nursing. Failing to meet these requirements may result in the rejection of the application.
6.2 Application Feedback: After the closing date, the selection process will commence. If you do not receive any feedback within three months of the closing date, it is important to accept that your application was unsuccessful.
Conclusion: The Gauteng College of Nursing offers a Diploma in Nursing program for the year 2024 across several campuses. Prospective applicants must adhere to the specified application process, meet the subject criteria, possess essential competencies and attributes, and fulfill the obligations associated with the program.
By carefully considering these requirements and guidelines, applicants can increase their chances of securing admission to the Gauteng College of Nursing and embark on a fulfilling nursing career.