Renowned DJ and producer, MBALI Dandala, popularly known as DJ Mbali Umshove, passed away yesterday due to food poisoning, leaving the music industry and her fans devastated. The 26-year-old rising star from Kokstad first gained recognition in 2019 after appearing in Kabza De Small’s hit single Umshove music video.
Her journey in the industry began as a video vixen under Sizzle’s Management, but her talent and charisma soon propelled her towards becoming a DJ and producer, a path that unexpectedly led her to delve into music production.
In her quest to build her brand and showcase her passion for music, DJ Mbali collaborated with Audio Addicts and Soulful G on her debut single, Konka, which received an overwhelming response with over 150,000 views on YouTube. Determined to keep the momentum going, she announced the release of her EP on Thursday, 25 August, featuring collaborations with prominent artists like Audio Addicts, Nandi Ndathane, Nhlonipho, DJ Bom, Soulful G, and The Bartender.
Tragically, just as her career was flourishing, the news of her untimely passing has left the music community and her followers in shock. Despite her promising career, DJ Mbali’s legacy will undoubtedly be remembered through her music, and her EP will stand as a testament to her love and dedication to the art.
JOBS: Basic Education Vacancies
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has announced several new vacancies within the public service sector of South Africa. The DBE plays a crucial role in the country’s education system, formulating policies and executing them for primary and secondary schools.
With a strong commitment to improving education and preparing the youth for the job market, the DBE offers job opportunities that contribute significantly to the educational advancement of the nation.
Director (Reference: DBE/18/2023)
The DBE is seeking a highly qualified and experienced individual for the position of Director within the Chief Directorate of Planning and Implementation Support, specifically in the Directorate of Education Management and Governance Development.
The Director will be responsible for providing strategic leadership, management, and guidance in the areas of school management and governance.
- Recognised Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent at NQF Level 7
- Relevant post-graduate qualification (advantageous)
- Extensive experience in school management and governance, including at least five years at the Middle/Senior Managerial level in the Education sector
- Previous experience as a school principal or circuit manager
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel extensively
- Providing strategic leadership, management, and guidance to schools, districts, and provincial education departments in matters of school management and governance
- Managing professional and School Governing Body Associations
- Identifying and sharing best practices in planning and effective implementation
- Managing finances in compliance with the Public Finance Management Act
- Addressing blockages to planning and implementation
- Maintaining a database of expertise and compiling analytic reports
- Strengthening schools’ capacity in data usage, facilitating sharing of best practices, and developing an interactive web-platform for knowledge exchange
- Improving school leadership and governance, overseeing needs analysis and professional development programs, managing school rationalization, and collaborating with relevant entities and stakeholders
Director – Ref No: DBE/19/2023
The DBE is looking for a qualified individual for the position of Director in the Chief Directorate of Financial Services, falling under the Directorate of Security and Assets Management.
- Recognised Senior Certificate or equivalent qualification
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (NQF Level 7) recognized by SAQA
- Minimum of 5 years of experience at the Middle/Senior Managerial level, preferably within corporate services
- Knowledge of Public Private Partnership (PPP) Concession Agreements and procurement processes
- Knowledge of asset management in government and security policy development and implementation (physical and document security)
- Leadership qualities, planning and organizing skills, good general management skills, and advanced computer skills
- Good interpersonal relations and ability to handle pressure
- Valid driver’s license
- Monitoring the correctness of the monthly unitary fee according to the PPP agreement
- Monitoring service delivery performance and specifications
- Ensuring compliance with security standards and practices
- Overseeing the payment of unitary, additional, and pass-through costs
- Managing partnership relationships and handling all assets within the DBE
- Managing the contract between the DBE and the Professional Conference Organiser (PCO)
- Providing reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities and employees with small children
- Classifying sensitive information according to the MISS
- Maintaining an accurate asset register
- Establishing committees for loss and disposal as well as security coordination
- Identifying security risks and advising on countermeasures
- Communicating security practices and standards
- Reporting security breaches and liaising with controlling institutions
- Developing and maintaining an event management policy, coordinating workshops and conferences, and ensuring timely payment of invoices from the PCO
Deputy Director (School Improvement Support) – Ref: DBE/20/2023
The DBE is seeking a qualified and experienced individual for the position of Deputy Director (School Improvement Support) in the Chief Directorate of Planning and Implementation Support, falling under the Directorate of School-Level Planning and Implementation Support.
- Relevant three-year post-matric qualification (NQF level 6) or equivalent
- Four years of relevant experience at the supervisory level
- Post-graduate degree (advantageous)
- At least five years of experience in management and leadership at the school level as a Deputy Principal or Principal, or relevant managerial experience
- Three years of experience in implementing and managing school improvement support initiatives
- Knowledge of matrix and project management, analytical skills, and excellent people management skills
- Computer skills in MS Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Outlook)
- Willingness to work under pressure, meet deadlines, work independently without supervision, and travel
- Valid driver’s license and passion for contributing positively to South African education
- Collaborating with district officials, particularly district Directors and Circuit Managers, to provide support to struggling circuits and schools
- Identifying conceptual, capacity, and operational challenges hindering the effective delivery of quality education in schools
- Enhancing the capacity of circuits and schools to utilize data effectively in supporting schools and individual teachers
- Implementing and managing various interventions aimed at improving the quality of education in underperforming circuits
- Providing mentoring and coaching to circuit managers in poor performing circuits and challenging contexts
- Overseeing the implementation of turnaround strategies for underperforming circuits
- Ensuring sustainability of expertise and developing plans to address identified weaknesses in teaching, management, leadership, and collegiality
- Maintaining a database of specialists and interventions in schools, compiling and presenting progress reports, analyzing reports to identify trends, and making recommendations for further improvement and development
- Planning and conducting meetings with provincial teams and performing other relevant functions as assigned by the Director
Assistant Directors (Provincial School Improvement Support Coordinators) – X6 Posts – Ref: DBE/21/2023
The DBE is seeking six qualified individuals for the position of Assistant Directors (Provincial School Improvement Support Coordinators) in the Chief Directorate of Planning and Implementation Support, falling under the Directorate of School-Level Planning and Implementation Support.
- Appropriate three-year relevant post-matric qualification (NQF level 6) or equivalent qualification in Education, including professional teacher education and registration with the South African Council for Educators (SACE) as a professional Educator
- Post-graduate degree (advantageous)
- Minimum of six years of teaching experience and at least two years of relevant experience at the supervisory level
- Good understanding of the education sector in South Africa and experience in managing project implementations
- Ability to produce quality work under pressure, manage deadlines, and work effectively with people at different levels
- Interpret and utilize performance data to identify and address gaps
- Ability to work as a team player while also being able to work autonomously
- Knowledge of Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) and programme development
- Computer literate, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Willingness to travel frequently and a valid driver’s license with own transport
- Collaborating with circuit managers to develop a data-driven approach to school improvement support
- Participating in specialized multi-disciplinary teams to implement and manage various interventions aimed at improving the quality of education
- Developing plans to address identified weaknesses and improve teaching, evaluating circuit priorities and deliverables, and working with circuit managers to implement circuit improvement plans
- Monitoring and refining responsive improvement plans, overseeing the implementation of turnaround strategies for identified circuits, and ensuring sustainability of expertise
- Compiling and presenting progress reports on programs undertaken on behalf of the Department of Basic Education (DBE)
For further information, interested individuals can contact Ms. N Monyela at (012) 357 3294 or Ms. M Mahape at (012) 357 3291.